Product Review by Jane Barthelemy.
Just Like Sugar Table Top is my favorite natural Paleo sweetener by far. After testing hundreds of sweeteners I use it because it dissolves easily, it tastes delicious, and is easy to measure cup for cup like sugar. Even better, it has zero-calories and zero-carbs. It gently sweetens everything, and I get no sugar rush or aftertaste from it. The Table Top version gives me the best sweet flavor and texture in recipes. It is also great for coffee and tea. Let me say right away that I am not paid or endorsed by Just Like Sugar in any way – I just love their product.
Where to Buy Just Like Sugar:
You can find it in some Whole Foods Markets. If they are out of stock, you can ask them to order it for you. Or buy it online from JustLikeSugar.com, Vitacost.com, Netrition.com, etc. Make sure you ask for the Table Top version in the one-pound green bag for my recipes, not the Baking, because it is measured differently. I love Just Like Sugar and I think you will too.
Just Like Sugar Table Top is a blend of crystal chicory root that is 96% dietary fiber, mixed with calcium, vitamin C, and its sweetness comes from orange peel! Chicory root is high in sweet carbohydrate dietary fiber called inulin (IN-you-lin) not to be confused with insulin. Because of the structure of the inulin molecule, it is not digested in the human body, and does not metabolize as a carbohydrate. This means effectively that although it tastes sweet, it does not affect blood sugar levels, and it does not cause weight gain.
The health benefits of Just Like Sugar are unique among sweeteners:
1. Just Like Sugar is high in chicory root dietary fiber. Clinical research shows that a diet high in dietary fiber greatly benefits digestive functions.
2. Nutritional facts per the manufacturer’s label: A 100 gram serving contains 0 calories, 0 Sugar, 0 Fat, 0 Cholesterol, 0 Sodium, 0 Net Impact Carbohydrates and 0 Protein.
3. Just Like Sugar is not fermentable and will not promote tooth decay.
4. Just Like Sugar acts as a prebiotic in the body, meaning it helps to stimulate the growth and activity of healthy digestive bacteria.
5. Chicory root is often used to control blood sugar levels. It can be used to help stabilize the body blood sugar levels for diabetics and non diabetics alike
6. It is gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free and vegan safe. It does not contain soy, yeast, animal derivatives or preservatives.
Note: The sweeteners I recommend are suitable for the vast majority of people, including most people with gluten intolerance, celiac disease and diabetes. However every person’s digestion is unique, therefore they may not be suitable for everyone. A few people suffering from IBS or SIBO may not tolerate chicory root fiber. Before starting any new diet, please check with your medical practitioner.